Tax Registration/ID Card

Global Goes Local assists with all registrations with the Swedish Tax Agency, such as the notification for the employer as well as with the registration and Swedish ID Card for the employee.

Tax Registration

Once the employee has received a work permit the employee should register with the Swedish Tax Agency. Anyone having moved to Sweden and planning to live in Sweden for one year or more must register with the Swedish Tax Agency. This means that the employee will be part of the Swedish Population Register (folkbokföringen) and is officially listed as a resident of Sweden. The individual will also receive a personal identity number (personnummer) and be eligible for a Swedish ID card (identity card). The personal identity number is an official number used for identification in official Swedish databases and is like a social security number or civil registration number in other countries.

Individuals that are staying in Sweden for less than a year will instead receive a co-ordination number.

The tax registration needs to be done in person at the nearest Tax Agency office.

EU or EEA citizens

Citizens from an EU or EEA country need to have right of residence (uppehållsrätt) for at least one year or a residence permit (uppehållstillstånd) for at least one year to be registered in the Swedish Population Register. EU citizens automatically have the right of residence in Sweden if they work, study or have sufficient means to support themselves.

Non-EU or non-EEA citizens

Citizens from a non-EU or a non-EEA country need to have a residence permit in Sweden which is valid for at least one year, in order to be registered in the Swedish Population Register.

Employers who hire a person who is not a citizen of an EU country, another EEA country or Switzerland are required to inform the Swedish Tax Agency of their employment by the 12th of the month following the commencement of the employment.

Before the employment starts the employer must check that the employee is entitled to stay and work in Sweden and save documents showing this for at least 12 months after the termination of the employment.

ID Card

Once the personal identity number has been received the employee can apply for a Swedish ID card from the Swedish Tax Agency. The Swedish ID card is an approved form of identification within Sweden. It can be used as proof of age and identity at places such as pharmacies, banks or in shops.