Work Permit

Global Goes Local assists employers and their future employees from beginning to end with a work permit to get all formalities correct and in place.

Employing EU citizens

EU citizens do not need a work permit and may start working immediately in Sweden. They do not need a residence permit (uppehållstillstånd), nor do they need to register their right of residence (uppehållsrätt) with the Migration Agency when they start working in Sweden. EU citizens automatically have the right of residence in Sweden if they work, study or have sufficient means to support themselves.

Employing Nordic (Denmark, Finland, Norway and Iceland) citizens

Nordic citizens do not need a work nor a residence permit and can start working immediately in Sweden. Nordic citizens have right to live in whichever Nordic country they choose.

Employing Swiss citizens

Swiss citizens must apply for a residence permit if intending to stay longer than three months.

Employing other non-EU citizens

Non-EU citizens will in most cases need a work permit to be able to start working in Sweden and the employer must take certain steps to make sure that a non-EU citizen can be employed. An employer for example has the obligation to check a person’s right to be and work in Sweden before employing them. The position also must be advertised. Under certain circumstances an application for a work permit can be submitted after the person has entered Sweden. An employee receiving a work permit for a period longer than three months also receives a residence permit. For employment that lasts less than three months, citizens of certain countries must have both a work permit and a visa.